It is time for NC to lead the way, a pass a bill that intended to keep North Carolina safe. That is why during the upcoming short session of the Legislature, I will introduce a bill that works to change our laws and keep our citizens safe.
The Keep North Carolina Safe Bill will do the following:
- Appropriate $5M to the Governors Crime Control Commission to create a "School safety grant program." The program would be a 2:1 match -- for every $2 spent on school safety by the county they can apply for $1 match from the state.
- Appropriate $5M to the Governors Crime Control Commission for an assault rifle buyback program. The program will also be a 2:1 match -- for $2 spent buying back assault rifles a county can apply for a $1 match.
- Raise the legal age for the purchase of an assault weapon to 22 years of age.
- Prohibit the possession or sale of firearms to an individual diagnosed with a mental illness, with a domestic violence conviction, with a domestic violence restraining orders, or listed on federal no-fly or watch list.
- Require background checks for gun sales at gun shows.
- Create a state database for all legal gun purchases.
These steps are the only way we can start to make NC Safe.
Join me by adding your name to this bill here